Reporting to the Creative Director and Studio Manager, the role of the Senior Designer is to create innovative, sophisticated and original designs that tells a story in the Russell Sage brand/style.
To work to either a brief set by the Creative Director or to work for an individual client taking on their needs and requests to deliver a quality end product.
Senior Designers are expected to have a clear understanding of all jobs with in their team and aim to build a strong and coherent team that respects each other and will work together.
They must challenge team members to develop both their design and organisational skills while still supporting them as they learn.
A key skill is to listen to your team and adapt your management style for the individual member to motivate them and deal with difficult discussions.
Achieving Results: To produce a personal performance which can be clearly demonstrated to have assisted the Company in achieving its objectives and long-term strategy.
Client Focus: To build meaningful and lasting customer relationships based upon an in depth understanding of Client’s needs and the ability to consistently anticipate and meet those needs. Building on these relationships to help bring in new or repeat business for the company.
Self Development & Professionalism: To continuously develop skills, knowledge and behaviour to improve level of performance.
Team Work: To contribute to the overall effectiveness of the team.
Developing Others: To build an effective and productive team who exhibit all of the winning behaviours, and to inspire the team with design and support their development
Providing Direction: To lead the team in its achievement of its business objectives, of being and an efficient, profitable and team focused organisation
Relationship Management: To build a close working relationship with reporting staff to understand their requirements and gather feedback on the level of value they provide
- Works closely with the Creative Director and Studio Manager in the development of projects from concept to completion, assisting with pitches, budgets, timelines, client management and retention
- Produces unique concepts and communicates those designs through working drawings and renderings, using these documents to lead your team and further develop the design
- Assists with creation and delivering of concepts and presentations, including drawings and relevant materials and joinery drawings as needed including plans, sections, elevations and details.
- Creates innovative design solutions whilst working effectively to set budget and timescales.
- Responsible for multiple projects at a time.
- Attends and presents concepts and presentations to clients.
- Fosters relationships with existing and new clients, and manage the teams time to execute quick pitches and maintenance on existing projects
- Creates pitch documentation.
- Oversees and delegates work assignments and provides direction to multiple project teams.
- Builds, develops, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
- Defines project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with clients.
- Creates and coordinates client proposals.
- Attends on-site reviews.
- Establishes and maintains excellent client and supplier relationships.
- Offers input to creative meetings and sharing of ideas.
- Delivers neat, clear and accurate design information and schedules. The quality and accuracy of documentation issued is the Senior Designers responsibility and as such they need to check all information.
- Liaises effectively with clients and other team members.
- Interacts with Studio Manager and Creative Director to ensure delivery of work to a consistently high standard.
- Sets key dates alongside the Studio Manager for the issue of RIBA Stage information.
- Maintains realistic project timelines for the team
- Ensures project cohesion and team communication regarding changes
- Ensures changes are communicated within the team.
- Attends regular site and progress meetings with client and design team as required.
- Maintains clear and effective communication on all project details with Project Designers.
- Creates work using Vectorworks, Adobe Packages, Mac OS, Microsoft Office and SketchUp.
- Supports business development activities through participation in pitches, presentations and promotional material.
- Supervises, inspires, motivates and monitors junior team members whilst understanding each team members goals.
- Works to tight deadlines on multiple tasks. Exhibiting efficient working practices that may not be linear but allow the client to receive the work required in a timely manner.
- Adaptable working approach with the understanding there is an expectation for a Senior Designer to still be on hand even outside of their typical working hours to ensure the team gets the work completed and a full service provided to the Client.
- Introduces new ways of working, above and beyond the brief.
- Takes an active role in all stages of design projects.
- Develops best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Keeps personal development up to date with ‘state-of- the-art’ techniques, equipment, best practices and developments within the design community.
Professional qualifications & preferred experience
- 5+ years professional experience as a designer as well as a BA in interior design (or related degree).
- 2+ years professional experience in the running and management of multiple projects.
- Excellent project management, client coordination and people management skills.
- Ability to relate design work to the client’s business needs
- Rigorous sense of design and expertise in all design stages
- Excellent drawing, technical, presentation and communication skills.
- Encourages and manages a project team and clients.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Enjoys working with and overseeing the work of junior staff members.
- Excellent creative and strategic thinker.
- Possesses a sophisticated and contemporary design language conveyed through visualisation and drawing skills, both computer aided and freehand.
- Works well under pressure and proficient analytical problem solver.
- Extremely organised.
- Confident in delivering projects on schedule and within budget
- Effective team management
- Expert level experience in Vectorworks, Adobe Packages, Mac OS, Microsoft Office and SketchUp.
- Great attention to detail.
- Flexible during times of change
- Effectively prioritizes and executes tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills; persuasive, encouraging, and motivating
- Learns, understands, and applies new technologies to current work.
- Passionate about interior design.
- Creative and practical.
- Demonstrates a talent for producing innovative, first-class spaces.